Sunday, December 6, 2009

Marriage Moment #6 - Selfishness

Cats just aren’t right! Have you ever really observed a cat? Cats are focused solely on themselves. The only time they come around is when they want something – typically food. Cats never show up just to be there for you. Cats think they own the world. Now I must admit I do own a cat, but the cat thinks he owns me! My cat tells me when he is hungry. In fact he doesn’t just tell me, truth is he won’t shut up until he is fed. Cats often distance themselves until they want food! I will admit cats do keep the mice away. Sometimes my cat is a pain in the neck, but I still feed and care for the cat. Why do I put up with the cat? I guess the answer is because my kids love the cat.  Okay, and because he keeps the mice and rats away!
Is your marriage similar to what I just described (take out the word ‘cat’ and replace it with ‘my spouse)? If so, you must act now! A marriage that is living out this scenario will ‘simply exist’ or ‘miserably fail’ unless something is done. CAUTION: There is a problem. The problem is that typically cats only know they exist; and they don’t realize that a problem exists. They especially don’t realize that they are the problem! Cats believe they are the only or the important ingredient in the relationship. They believe that everyone is blessed to know and be next to them!
This creates major issues. Often the only way a cat (a.k.a. – your spouse) finds out there is a problem is when a blow up occurs. The healthy thing IS NOT to blow up at your spouse, but to help them see things from a different perspective. King David was confronted with his inappropriate relationship with Bathsheba through a story told by a trusted friend, Nathan the prophet. (You can check out the story in 2 Samuel 12:1-7) Remember; don’t call your spouse a ‘selfish cat’. Don’t attack! Love your spouse through this difficult situation and couple love with patience! Most importantly run to God for guidance and support HE is after all the creator of both marriage and cats. Why not also get support from a loving church family? Why not join us this Sunday?

No comments: