Thursday, May 8, 2008

Ministry!

I have in my office a few different quotes that help me keep my perspective in ministry. One is from Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." - the importance of prayer in minstry. The second one is a quote from Wayne Smith in a sermon titled - 'Playing Hurt': "Ministry is the calling of an inadequate man, to an impossible task for an indefinite period of time." My translation of this: In my ministry I will never be good enough, nor will I ever have 'arrived' to perfection - I must stay humble. In my ministry my job can never be done on my own ability - I must serve through the power of the Holy Spirit. In my ministry I will never be finish - completing the job - I must press on, regardless. The third and final quote I have hanging above my desk: "Make no small plans. For they have no power to stir humanity's blood." - Daniel Burnham, a 19th century architect. When I struggle - these keep me centered. God is always for me in my ministry and He never leaves me to fend for myself. My job is always for HIS honor - "the foolishness of preaching..." I need to dream big, to bring others along and see the incredible God I serve.

No comments: