Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Resurrection Sunday

I have been thinking a lot about Simon of Cyrene and his encounter with Jesus. Mostly because that is what I am preaching on this Easter, but also in part because this encounter just strikes me to the core of my being. There are only a few verses that even mention Simon and his part in the crucifixion story. Here is what I notice...He was 'passing by'...he wasn't a guy who came to watch the freak show, but just happen to be at this place at this particular time. I wonder, did God place him there that day. Then I begin to wonder more...how often am I 'passing by' when God has placed me at a certain place at a particular time for HIS ministry work on earth. In those moments, have I just 'passed by' or have I made the most of those opportunities for HIS glory. Just a thought.

Mark's Gospel is the only gospel to add to this retelling that this Simon had two sons who most likely were men who came to the faith...quite possible because of their father leading them down that road to the cross as he relived it (I think) every day for the rest of his life. Obviously, Simon was changed because of Jesus and HIS life that was 'poured out' for us. Has it changed my life in such a way that the rest of my life I relive it, to live for it! Just a thought.

No comments: