Thursday, March 6, 2008

Spiritual Growth

Our Wednesday Night Class just started a series - "First Steps for New Beleivers." I felt like it was a wonderful topic and discussion; so I walked away very excited about my own personal growth spiritually. It seems to me that so many of us struggle with the correct attitude we need for our spiritual growth to take place properly. I grew up knowing I need to be a man of prayer and a man in God's Word. But so often I found myself 'dutifully' being obedient in my pursiut. Now don't get me wrong - we NEED obedience as fully devoted followers. However, what often doesn't take place is the transition from duty to love (which was my topic of my sermon 'Love's greatest acts - pt. 1)! I think we also tend to struggle with equating physical growth with spiritual. (I.e. ...since I am 45 years old - I am a greater follower than a 28 year old follower!)

We ended our lesson with John 15:7-8 - "I am the vine you are the branches..." We must remain in Christ, allow HIS Word to remain in us and bear fruit so we can reveal HIM in our life(bring HIM glory!) Our growth depends on us - God will always do HIS part - Colossians 1:6 - HE began it (good work) and will continue it to completion!

No comments: